Monday, September 3, 2007

Friends Are Friends Forever

Oh man, we love our friends in Chicago. We're so thankful for having such a wonderful group of people around who are ready to throw a party and feed us dinner at almost anytime. These are photos from a going-away party held for our friend, Jacob, who has traveled to Russia to teach el American language. This is from a week ago but as today is labor day we had the exact same party, minus Jacob, Josh & Jennie, plus Christine & Isaac, Kendra, Brian & baby Maximus and my hard working husband, Clay. Let's get started, shall we...





Jacob makes some kind of Russian gesture towards James that is also, no surprise here, frightening.
Img_6637



















Well, maybe he was just trying to get James to eat his food, which would also explain the frightened facial expressions.



Img_6639



















Jennie & Carina try a different tactic with "Itsy Bitsy Spider." Here you can see that the sun is coming out.
Img_6642


















Img_6658


















Miss Josephine has recently developed the strangest fear of men. We just can't explain it--so strange because she's always surrounded by such kind and undemonlike men. Just goes to show that kids can be preeetty dumb. (this joke courtesy of Chris)
Img_6585



























Img_6589



























I'm only kidding, of all kids I've ever met who definitely are dumb, Josephine is not one of them. In fact, just the other day she said to Lynn, "I love you, Mama." Wow. I really try to be happy for Lynn, even though James continues to hit me in the face and call me Dada.
Img_6583



























The latest craze among our friends is a new game called "Ladder Golf."  It's where you throw two golf balls, tied together by a string at a ladder and hope for the best, which would be the balls landing on a level of the ladder. No please, don't hold back, even as what I thought were grown adults, many a player has trouble holding back the giggles when a person refers to throwing or retrieving their balls.
Img_6567


















Img_6568










We've noticed that James is most content when he gets to do what the big people are doing. He's a great imitator and learns quickly. He almost acts like he's trying to keep up with older siblings and I don't know what that says about our parenting skills. Here he joins in on Ladder Golf.
Img_6566


















Fun Lynn was our hostess
Img_6651




























Josh & Chris
Img_6596



























Img_6600




























Chris, in an effort to imply that I make people uncomfortable with my photo taking, borrowed my camera to take some comedic close-ups of the party guests. Granted, having your picture taken can be uncomfortable but now we have a permanent way of remembering that discomfort forever.
Img_6606

Img_6615_3




















James gets some attention from Auntie Miriam
Img_6631




























Img_6562


















Img_6572


















Even Chris & Christine's dog Rodger came out to play. Here, Roger has a heart attack at the thought of getting to play with that soccer ball. Too bad, fun dog.
Img_6564





























A few days later, James and I went back for a pool party with Josephine & Lynn. Don't worry folks, this is what they call an "optical illusion."
Img_6669




























Although, this is probably the same look James would have given Josephine if he really had been hit in the face with water. I can tell he's thinking about it, he's pretty cautious.
Img_6672


















Img_6678

















James decided he wouldn't take his chances.



Back at home with the real Dada, James likes to play a game where he pulls Clay back to crush him on the sofa. It was going well but I guess by the time I got the camera out he didn't enjoy being crushed for that long.
Img_6662


















Happy Labor Day!



4 comments:

  1. Hey everyone here is an update on us.....We have been home for almost 3 weeks. Would be great if you guys lived closer. Sometimes i wish we had 24 hr care so i could get a break every once in a while. Clay i don't know how you do this all the time i'm so tired by 6-7 every night. Anyways we go back to the doctor on friday. First to the plastic surgeon then to the orthopedic surgeon. Hopefully the plastic surgeon will give ortho the all clear to go in and reconstruct the left ankle. He is however supposed to get the stiches out of the right leg amputation and get someting called a shrinker sock to get ready for prostetic. Also we started physical therapy last week on the right leg and left shoulder and it is going GREAT!!! I will try to remember to update you guys this weekend. But in the meantime do any of you gaspards have my space? if so you can find me by using mdlawrence@alltel.net as e-mail address. This is the best way to keep up with us. I update this more oftem cause our friends really watch it. Well, hope all is well with everyone. Take care,
    Mitsy Denton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie- I learned in class this week that little boys develop slower then little girls so don't worry it is completely normal that James is a little behind Josephine in forming sentences or saying words!!! However the hitting I have no explanation for...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Julianne. I'm not too worried but it's good to know the professionals aren't either. James isn't talking much but he can almost put a perfect spiral on a football so I'd say that's pretty good for 16 months. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update, Mitsy. It sounds like you're very busy but I'm glad there is a recovery in sight. I look forward to meeting you both!

    ReplyDelete