Thursday, July 26, 2007

Family Day

After we returned, Clay was off work on Monday so we made it a family day and took ourselves to Chicago's Lincoln Park Zoo--a fantastic free zoo right in the city. My favorite part is the gorilla house. We got to see some of the animals very close up.



First stop was the petting zoo where we got to see a barn owl; although we did not pet it because as that cute old lady explained it could "tear your face off" with its talons. James knows owls, we have an owl statue in the garage and he likes to point at it and say "hoo, hoo" when we get into the car.
Img_5496


















Then we saw the cows eating lunch, which James really enjoyed.
Img_5498


















Img_5500

















Img_5502

















Img_5509


























I was first in line for the free milking
Img_5514


















Here, James takes an oath that he will only touch the goat's back and sides. And if understood that he's in trouble because he's been pretending not to understand "no" for a long time. But I have to add that today I told him to get his shoe and he left the room, walked down the hallway, and came back with his shoe--I was very excited!
Img_5517


















Here, we force James to touch the goat.
Img_5518


















Img_5521


















Img_5526


















When we went to see the lions they were all sleeping but one was laying right next to the viewing window and you can see her in the far right corner.
Img_5535

















Does he look uncomfortable?
Img_5533


















The best part of the whole day was the polar bears who appeared to be putting on a synchronized swimming show for us, also uncomfortably close to the glass.
Img_5544

















Img_5554

















Img_5561



























Oh, James is sharing his juice.
Img_5565



























Img_5570



























It was a great family day. We spent the rest of it in the baby pool and then watching Clay's soccer game. We also took James to the daycare at the YMCA for the first time where he hit someone in the face. I maintain that he's just overly affectionate and that sometimes love hurts.
Img_5567

























2 comments:

  1. Serious Girlfriend SedonaJuly 31, 2007 at 2:29 PM

    James with the lion is too funny! Terrified much? Katie, this blog is amazing-very entertaining, I promise to check it more often! Thanks for posting all of the pics from the visit to NYC also, it was so fun to have you all here. Come & visit us again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sedona! Can I start calling you SGS? We can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete